Tuesday 3 May 2016

My Adventures in Writing: Things I've Learnt at University

Deciding to study creative writing is probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. After years of plodding through school and college not knowing what I wanted to do, or even being sure what it was that I was really good at, finally arriving at that decision was a huge relief. Since starting, my belief in myself as a writer has gone from strength to strength. Below is a list of the most important things I've learnt since being at university.

1) Editing is everything. 

Sometimes I think it's my least favourite part, sometimes I don't mind it as much. I know that everywhere you look people – writers, publishers, agents, anyone in the business – tell you that editing is the way to succeed. I used to brush it off, thinking, "I don't need editing, I'm good enough first draft." Boy, was I naive. And arrogant. Nobody's first draft is good. That's just the way it is. Even now, I only let one very close friend read any of my absolute, thrown-it-on-a-page, first drafts. 

For my last portfolio of first year (due in May), I was submitting two stories that I'd been working on since January. My workshopping group was probably sick of these stories, I know I almost was. But I worked and worked at them, changing words, rearranging sentences, deleting and rewriting whole passages, putting completely new bits in. On and on this process went, but at the end, I handed in the portfolio and came out with a first. A first! For things that I had written! Somebody, albeit only one tutor, thought that my writing was that good! The thing is, if I had given in that first draft, there's no way it would have received such a high mark. 

So when someone tells you editing is everything. Believe them. It really can make all the difference. 

2) Get as many people as possible to read your writing (and don't be afraid to let them).

When I first started out, only a few select friends were ever privy to my writing and I was terrified when I had to share my words with a whole class of people I didn't know. There's always a chance people won't like it or get it. But there will also be those who love it. I had to learn to get used to and overcome the fear of sharing my work.

The feedback I get from different points of view is invaluable. I'm constantly surprised at what people will pick up on. It's not just misspelt words, or changes in tense, or clunky sentences. People notice things like "but how did that character get from that position to there so quickly? What?" and "a minute ago, they said this? That doesn't make sense to me." I've also had an issue where I'd left out dialogue tags and accidentally mixed up which character was saying what. It meant that the two characters had suddenly switched which side of the argument there were on. I knew what I meant, so I didn't see it, but someone else did. 

I always have to remember that, while I can see everything I write clearly in my head, nobody else can, unless I give enough information. Other people reading my work can fill in the gaps that I can't see. 

3) Read, read, read, read, read. 

The more I read, the more I know. By reading, and reviewing the books I read, I'm slowly working out my own voice, above all else. I read books that have a chatty, lively narrator, appreciate that style of writing, enjoy it, and know that that style isn't me. I read books with an observant and thoughtful narrator, love them, and know that that's what I'm aiming for with my own writing. 

I find words I never knew existed, and learn things about subjects that I begin to form my own stories about. I discover what character traits I like and dislike as well as the plot tropes I want to avoid and the ones I want to embrace. 

4) It's okay to have negative opinions about books.

I hate not liking a book, especially when it's one that everyone's been raving about. But I always have my reasons. In terms of writing I think it's important to realise what I don't like because, at the end of the day, I can't possibly please everyone.  While it's a dream of mine to be an author, it's more important to me to write the book I want to read. By loving some books and disliking others, I can work out exactly what that book is and get on and write in. 

5) YA is my heart and soul. 

I've learnt that YA and children's literature is where my heart lies. I've finally, finally realised that books are what I want to centre my life around. I've learnt that if I can't write the YA on the shelves of bookstores, I can be one of the many people who help put it there, who help find the very best fiction that will shape a whole generation. 

Coming to the end of my second year, with third year all planned out, I know where my life is heading and I'm excited to keep learning and growing as a writer, as a reader, as a potential contributor to the landscape of YA and children's literature. There's plenty more that my course has taught me, but those five things and the biggest and most important lessons I will carry with me for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment