Saturday 14 May 2016

My Adventures in Writing: How I Write Best

“What is your writing routine?” and other similar questions are often asked of authors. And a lot of the time they have a definitive answer; a place they write, a time, things that they need on the desk to do it. As an aspiring writer I sometimes feel like I need to develop my own routine. As I am now, it’s an, ‘I write when I write’ kind of situation. There are a few things I’ve noticed that get me writing more than my when-it-happens-it-happens outlook.


1) Public Transport is my Friend

I pretty much hate public transport, but when I’ve got no choice but to just sit, somehow it provides me with a break from thinking about the million things I might have to do and allows me time to just think, and write. There are so many scenes that probably wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for that handy little Notes app.




2) Showers are also my Friend

The trouble is, I think up these great scenes, sentence by sentence while I shower but by the time I’ve sorted myself out, I’ve either forgotten the majority of it (always the best parts too) or I was showering because I have somewhere to be.


3) Night Time is Good

Of all the times of the day, I think I write better at night. Maybe it’s because by that point I’ve been as productive as I’m going to be that day in terms of university work so my mind is freed up a little bit to just wander.

4) Those Few Hours After Finishing a Really Great Book

Do you know that feeling when you finish a book and it lingers? Like, really lingers? When the book, the story, the characters just won’t leave your head? Those hours when a book clings to me are simultaneously helpful and not. Half the time they make me want to write a novel in one sitting (even if that novel is basically the book I’ve just read. Like, I said, they linger), and half the time they make me want to crawl into bed, hugging said book, and think about how I’ll never be able to write a book like that.

5) Pen and Paper or Keyboard and Screen.

Honestly? I don’t know which I prefer. There’s something whimsical about notebooks filled with handwritten stories, and I have an obsession with stationary, but when it comes to writing productively, I think the keyboard wins. Even if I’m having a block, I can just keep writing until I find what I’m really trying to say, and then one click and all that rubbish it took to get there is gone. Who wants to waste precious pages with rubbish you wish you could delete. Notebooks will, however, always be the best option for planning. I definitely cannot plan with the restrictions of a Word document.

6) Music is Always Helpful.

I’m always plagued by this decision: Netflix? or Spotify? I know, KNOW, that Spotify is the right answer. Music is far less distracting and way more inspirational, but I always try to kid myself into thinking Netflix is a good idea. If I get into my writing then I’ll zone it out either way. Right now, for example, Taylor Swift is blasting in my ear, but until I got to this point, I was barely listening. If I’d gone with Netflix, there would be a much slimmer chance of me even starting this post.

So, there you go, six things that kind of add up to a routine? Sort of. Maybe one day I’ll find that perfect set-up that gets all the right words out of me. But for now, I’ll stick with what I’ve got. I’m not gonna force words out, I’ll just let them flow when, where, however they want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment