Sunday 22 May 2016

Judge This Book by its Cover: I'll Give You The Sun

So, while I absolutely adore what's on the pages of books, I also have deep love of the covers. They are works of art, and while the phrase never judge a book by its cover sends an important message, it doesn't really apply to books anymore. In an age where book reviewers – of the blogger and vlogger variety – are contributing to the success of books, covers are what sell books. 

I remember seeing The Selection all over the internet and fell in love with the covers, the pretty dresses and perfect colours. If I hadn't seen the covers everywhere, it could have taken a lot longer for me to pick the series up. 


I appreciate books that are beautiful inside and out. With this series "Judge This Book by its Cover" I want to basically fangirl at the work of book cover designers everywhere. 


I'm going to kick it off with I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson. This book is without a doubt one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. I had high expectations after The Sky is Everywhere and it exceeded them. So, let's take a look at the cover.


UK




This is the cover on my copy, the UK version. I think my favourite thing about this cover is the way it looks like paint. With both narrators being artistic, it represents them both. Throughout, there are paint splatters and strokes, as well as the full page quotes. Having not read the US version, I don't know if those inside pages are styled the same way but the fact that they match in the UK version is perhaps one of my favourite things about this cover. Plus, it looks great with my copy of The Sky is Everywhere.

US

As much as I love my copy, I do really like the US cover. It's got the same sun-like design but less obvious. It doesn't hint at the huge part art plays in the novel as much, but the colours do a good job of indicating how vibrant the novel is in terms of characters and emotions. I also really like the font. Researching the cover of The Sky is Everywhere, there is a US version that goes with this one, with the same brightly coloured stripes and a similar font. 


I'm struggling to pick a favourite. The colours on the US cover are something I'm more drawn to than the boldness of the UK copy. Having said that, I absolutely love my copy and would feel like I was betraying it to say I preferred the other cover. 

Which one do you prefer?

2 comments:

  1. And then, of course, if you have the other-other copy of The Sky is Everywhere, your copies don't match. Oh, the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete