Friday 20 May 2016

My Adventures in Writing: Inspirations

They say inspiration is everywhere and for me that is true. Here are just a few of the things that really get my imagination going.

Music

I find inspiration in songs because often they tell a tiny snippet of a larger story. Listening to music, I just start to fill in the gaps, imagining the before and after the moment of the song. I also like songs that tell a more complete story. One that I'm really intrigued about is Taylor Swift's The Moment I Knew.


Films


I suppose in some ways, films and books inspire me in the same way. It's about the stories. By watching films, despite them being fiction, I learn about situations that I haven't experienced first (or second) hand, but could be interesting to explore. In a similar way, I meet characters with personality traits that hadn't ever crossed my mind.


Books


While books offer stories and characters, they also offer something more than films: the words. My love for words means that not only do I find inspiration when they are perfectly strung together into a novel length story, I am sometimes inspired simply by one word and it's definition. I've written a short story before simply because I wanted to write about wanderlust. I think wanderlust is one of my favourite words in the world.


People Watching


I find people watching to be a great way to get my imagination going. We often don't think about how the strangers that are background characters in our own stories have lives on their own; lives in which we play the background part. I like to imagine the lives that other people lead.


Photos


I like scrolling through sites like Pinterest and Tumblr. If I see a photo I like, I'm instantly thinking about why I like it, and often it's because I can see a story in it.


So, there it is. Inspiration is everywhere. It's a common thread through all artistic and creative outlets; creativity feeds creativity. Where does everyone else find their inspiration?




1 comment:

  1. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete