Saturday 23 April 2016

My Adventures in Writing: Sarah Dessen

My love for Sarah Dessen will never falter. I will always be waiting for her next book. And, if a day comes when my writing is as inspiring as hers, it will be a dream come true. 

I've read all her books (bar one, I think), some of them multiple times.

My absolute favourite thing about Sarah's books starts with the way they all occur in the same few locations. Colby, for example, is a seaside town that will stay with me forever. Every book builds more of it in my mind. Even sitting here, writing about it now, I can see it: the shops, and the houses, and the beach, and the boardwalk. There are a few different schools, and different towns, but there's always at least one location that's been mentioned in another book.

Which leads me nicely to my absolute, absolute, favourite thing. I'll be sat there reading the newest book, and suddenly, subtly, there's a cameo from the main character of a previous book. There are so many reasons why I love this.

Firstly, it's just exciting! How often do you meet characters after their (standalone) book has finished? Sometimes it's just nice to know that they're still with their boyfriend, happily having breakfast, or shopping, or walking to school. And there's something about recognising them too. It's like confirmation that, yes, you were paying attention when you read that book, and, yes, you must have cared to know that character now, simply from a description of the back of their head.

Secondly, by including these tiny snippets, Sarah has instantly created a whole world. These stories may only take place in a few locations, rather than multiple ones worldwide, but having the brief cameos just shows that other people exist with stories of their own.

Thirdly, following from my last point (and something I've mentioned before) I'm fascinated by the notion that the people in the background of my life, have lives and stories of their own. That may sound like a stupidly obvious thing, of course other people have lives, don't be so self-centred. But often, walking through town, or past other people's houses, my mind wanders to everyone I pass. I wonder about the sort of people they are. What do they like, what do they dislike, who do they love, what are their dreams? Is their heart broken, or in love? What has life put them through? I guess I can blame good old curiosity for that. And perhaps my love for stories and making them up. That's why I love the casual mentions; they remind me of that kind of curiosity and remind me that while people might just pass you by, they have stories all of their own.

If I had to pick one author who had inspired and influenced my own writing Sarah Dessen is definitely the one I'd go with. I love her style. I love the descriptions and the way they emulate summer. It's like, every time I open one of her books, sunshine and warmth just pours out all over me. The lyrical language makes me laugh and cry and I feel everything the characters do. The stories are full of romance (my favourite thing) but there's also more to them than that. There's subplots of broken families, and broken friendships, dealing with death, and changing who you thought you were.

Sarah's books are the perfect balance of light-hearted and meaningful. The themes and plots don't weigh down on you as you read, because of the underlying hope that I think weaves it's way through every single one of Sarah's stories.

It's that style and that balance that I see in my own writing, and I hope others would agree. It's the grown-up voice she gives her teenage characters that is similar to the way I write, especially when I write instinctually, when I'm not particular trying, just letting the words flow onto the page. My default setting.

Sarah Dessen is a writer who will always have a place in my heart. Her books constantly inspire me, and, I think it's fairly safe to say, that they have played a huge part in my Adventures in Writing, and I have no doubt that they will continue to do exactly that.

2 comments:

  1. man, now i really want to have a Sarah Dessen summer. (by which i mean re-read all the books, but also? a summer like the ones in her books might not be so bad.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would apologise, but I'm not sorry. Her books should be read multiple times!

      Delete